Having dirty or clogged drains can be frustrating because you aren't able to use your sinks, toilets, or tubs in their typical fashion. When your drains start to slow down, you need to figure out what to do. One thing you can do is pour some drain cleaner down the drains. The problem with those cleaners is that they often don't work the way they should and can damage your pipes or hurt anyone who pulls them out. You need to call a plumber and have them come out and clean your pipes for you. The plumber will have several tools that they can use to clear out your drains. 

Mechanical Augers

A mechanical auger can also be called a snake. The end that will go down your drain will have a little metal claw or screw on it. The goal of that claw or screw is to break up any clogs the snake encounters. When the tip meets the clog, the plumber will move it around so that it can dig into the clog and hopefully cause it to break apart so that it can get washed down the pipes and let your drains start to work the way that they should. The difference between the auger that the plumbers have and the ones that you can buy in the store is that the plumber's auger is generally longer and much more flexible, which will let it get further into your pipes so that it can get to where the problem truly lies. Their augers can also be connected to a motor, which will give the tip more force when it encounters the clog. 

Jet Nozzles

Another tool that the plumber has that can clean out your drains is a jet nozzle. These nozzles shoot out powerful jets of water. They get snaked down into your drains, from one of several places, and when the nozzle meets the clog, it cuts the clog apart. These nozzles can be really good for things like tree roots blocking your pipes or clumps of so-called flushable wipes. Generally, these nozzles are fed into the pipes from the outside, either through an emergency sewer access point near your house or from where the pipes from your home meet the sewer pipes that are at the street. 

If you are having problems with your plumbing, you may need to have your drains cleaned out. Contact a plumber for more information about drain cleaning